This blog is for all who desire to create with words and images.
You are encouraged to participate in any way that is meaningful to you.

~
All prompts beneath the photos are only suggestions.
You are free to use the photo to be inspired to write any way you desire.
~
There is no deadline on posting,
you may offer your writing to any prompt anytime.
~
Write and you are a writer.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

F - Sunday's Alphabet Prompt

Photo by Jim Pankey "WildSpirit"
Jim's Photography can be found at Picasa and Fotothing
~
Suggested prompt...
~
Tell a Fish Story.
A big whopper of a tale, or a small remembrance of fishing with your father...
See how creatively you can include a fishy bit of fun in today's writing.



______________________


My dad took us to Alexandria, Minnesota for a week's vacation in the early '50s. He took me fishing, from a rental boat. I remember the lure: a Hula Popper.
He told me where he thought the big bass in the lake was, and how to look for the places that would provide good ambush points.

Dad pointed out a likely location, a break in the lily pads away from the huge mass of them, and told me to cast the frog design Hula Popper into the small clearing separating them and to let it sit.

I did. The Hula Popper's rubber tails (like a hula skirt, which gave the lure it's name) danced and wiggled and I could imagine a huge bass giving it the eye as it enticed him into the strike.

Nothing happened. Then dad said to just twitch the lure a little bit.

The water exploded and I was completely hooked on bass fishing!

Although the bass only weighed 2.5 pounds, it was enough to pull me in for a lifetime in pursuit of the Largemouth Bass.

~ Jim Pankey



One week after the photo or picture is posted I will pick one offering to put beneath the image. This is a way of celebrating exceptional creativity. Any and all posts are available for your creative mind to make an offering at any time (even ones where a writing has been placed on the front page like this one). If you are new here and want to offer to every image here, feel free. We are writers, WRITE!

If this is your exceptional writing posted here on the Front Page Pictures, Poetry & Prose invites you to include the Exceptional Writing Award Button on your blog. Visit the Exceptional Writing Award post for the details and the button to download.

5 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

This one is easy for me. While growing up, every other year my dad and I would go to Lake of the woods, Ontario for a weeks fishing. Truly the best memories of my childhood. One time, I hooked a 4 foot long muskie and it almost pulled me out of the boat. Of course I was about 8 at the time and it was probably only 2 or 3 feet long but to a child of 8...it was HUGE. I still carry that tradition today. Every other year, I have taken my 23 year old son to Lake of the woods...same memories for both of us. The economy can bust, we can be at war, health problems may arise but we (and I) will always have the memories of father and son...together eliminating generation gaps for at least a week.

Dan

Dan Felstead said...

Congrats to Laura Jane for winning yesterday's One Minute Writer! You make us proud Laura!

Dan

Laura Jayne said...

Awwww... thank you.

And I love your piece here. These sorts of memories are priceless. I am so happy that this prompt lead to your sharing here.

Scriptor Senex said...

I once caught a fish. Actually I’ve caught a few fish – all very small and all in a net with this one exception. I caught it using a rod and line and I was about 13 years old. It was tiny, a little roach or perch, and once I had unhooked it I put it straight back in the pond. It was the culmination of many days spent sitting by this local pond with a friend.

Such a tiny little fish and yet forty years later I still remember it and I still recall the enjoyment of sitting by this tree-lined pond in the countryside some miles from home. Just sitting there undoubtedly formed part of my early love of nature. What an important little fish that turned out to be.

Anonymous said...

My dad took us to Alexandria, Minnesota for a week's vacation in the early '50s. He took me fishing, from a rental boat. I remember the lure: a Hula Popper.
He told me where he thought the big bass in the lake was, and how to look for the places that would provide good ambush points.

Dad pointed out a likely location, a break in the lily pads away from the huge mass of them, and told me to cast the frog design Hula Popper into the small clearing separating them and to let it sit.

I did. The Hula Popper's rubber tails (like a hula skirt, which gave the lure it's name) danced and wiggled and I could imagine a huge bass giving it the eye as it enticed him into the strike.

Nothing happened. Then dad said to just twitch the lure a little bit.

The water exploded and I was completely hooked on bass fishing!

Although the bass only weighed 2.5 pounds, it was enough to pull me in for a lifetime in pursuit of the Largemouth Bass.