This blog is for all who desire to create with words and images.
You are encouraged to participate in any way that is meaningful to you.

~
All prompts beneath the photos are only suggestions.
You are free to use the photo to be inspired to write any way you desire.
~
There is no deadline on posting,
you may offer your writing to any prompt anytime.
~
Write and you are a writer.

Monday, February 16, 2009

You Are Here


Art by writingreading
visit Writing, Reading & Reflections for more of her work.
~
Suggested prompt...
~
Offer writing today that share a bit your thoughts
about theres uncertain economic times.
Do so creatively perhaps in a poem, or a short story
or an essay about your thoughts and feelings.


____________________

Being in this spot on the graph may not be all bad, at least for me. I'm reminded from this position that
1. Life is about change (for the good, for the neutral, for the not so good).
2. From this vantage point on the down slope, I can see where I've been and where I might be headed. Might. I'm hopeful that we can shift this curve from the course already plotted.
3. I'm grateful for the opportunity this position gives me to take ownership of my part in this financial mess. Surely most of us have contributed in some way, others in larger ways.
4. I'm also grateful to be reminded that I cannot take luxuries for granted, that they have a price tag. I'm reminded that I need to make thoughtful choices every day about what I purchase, what I can afford, what are needs and what are wants. This cannot be anything but a blessing in my life.
5. I've learned that I can live happily with much less; that comfort is less about things and more about experiences (and not just wildly expensive experiences like some types of travel). I have not purchased anything I don't really need for the last month and it has been easy. I've also turned down the heat and worn more clothes inside the house to keep warm.
6. Let's stand in this place on the down slope and remember why we are here and what things we can do to turn this around. Each person. Each day. Each decision. It all matters.

~
Kate




One week after the photo or picture is posted I will pick one offering to put beneath the image. This is a way of celebrating exceptional creativity. Any and all posts are available for your creative mind to make an offering at any time (even ones where a writing has been placed on the front page like this one). If you are new here and want to offer to every image here, feel free. We are writers, WRITE! If this is your exceptional writing posted here on the Front Page Pictures, Poetry & Prose invites you to include the Exceptional Writing Award Button on your blog. Visit the
Exceptional Writing Award post for the details and the button to download.

10 comments:

DCW said...

Passing the site of the 1988Calgary Winter Olympics last Thursday, I admired , as always,the remarkable ski jumps.

I have never participated in this sport but tried to imagine the feeling of the vertical ascent of the tower, the anticipation at the peak, the rush of the rapid descent before that final lip and then the almost weightless airborne drop before a hopefully smooth landing.

That landing must be either a euphoric or painful return to the level of departure depending upon the strength, personal balance and relaxation brought to the whole journey.

Is our approach to finances so different? A couple of years of lost savings or a greater sense of awareness and commitment to the priorities of the next journey.

"You are here" - 3/4 of the way down the jump. Perhaps it's overly optimistic to say "enjoy the ride" but let's relax and focus on a safe descent. That will ensure the required landing.

Dan Felstead said...

You meaning the "collective" you. None of us are untouched by this one. Worldwide we wait for the next shoe to drop...not a good way to spend the day. The collective "you" struggling while the few at the top of the chart look down and feign concern while they sip their 1928 Lafite Rothschild.

The collective Dan

CaShThoMa said...

Being in this spot on the graph may not be all bad, at least for me. I'm reminded from this position that
1. Life is about change (for the good, for the neutral, for the not so good).
2. From this vantage point on the down slope, I can see where I've been and where I might be headed. Might. I'm hopeful that we can shift this curve from the course already plotted.
3. I'm grateful for the opportunity this position gives me to take ownership of my part in this financial mess. Surely most of us have contributed in some way, others in larger ways.
4. I'm also grateful to be reminded that I cannot take luxuries for granted, that they have a price tag. I'm reminded that I need to make thoughtful choices every day about what I purchase, what I can afford, what are needs and what are wants. This cannot be anything but a blessing in my life.
5. I've learned that I can live happily with much less; that comfort is less about things and more about experiences (and not just wildly expensive experiences like some types of travel). I have not purchased anything I don't really need for the last month and it has been easy. I've also turned down the heat and worn more clothes inside the house to keep warm.
6. Let's stand in this place on the down slope and remember why we are here and what things we can do to turn this around. Each person. Each day. Each decision. It all matters.

Shawn said...

The Chinese say: You shall live in interesting times. And so you shall.

We live in the very gauntlet that will determine within the next decade, maximum, whether or not we as a species survives even to the end of this century. That so many refuse to see this, or deny this (90-plus percent of humanity), only exacerbates the Olduvai Gorge rapidly approaching.

That those of you with children can so blithely turn away, can go gas up your SUV, can refuse to downsize--even to help ensure their survival--speaks of mass psychosis on a scale that would make Adolph Hitler blush.

Wake up.

Want to save the economy? Save the world. You already know the steps you need to take: take them today, right now.

~ Denise ~ said...

Heading up
not backing down
Aware of peaks
and valleys
in the line
called
life

Michael Saiz said...

Like notes on a scale
From low to high
Music graces the ear
First tender then a cry
From wrong to right and back to wrong
I'll use the notes to sing my song

New Yorker wannabes said...

In my dreams I travel a lot. One day I am in New York, walking around Manhattan, smelling, touching, talking to people, realising why people keep calling this city the big apple.

The next day I hop on a plane and stand in front of the Eiffel tower. People say it is ugly but I couldn't disagree more.

The following night I packed my bags because Prague was waiting...and I think that London was calling me too.

I travel a lot in my sleep, but my dreams all end up the same way. There is something blocking my way in the end. A big sign...at first I can't make out the writing or what it says. As I get closer and closer I finally manage to read it..."you are here".

I wake up in the middle of the night, all sweaty and tired. "It was a dream after all..."

PS I wish there was something that could be done so as people wouldn't be hungry or with no homes. That there would be education for all and health and our only worry would be how we were going to meet new civilizations and other countries. Imagine...

Unknown said...

Michael,
I love that. I don't know about everyone else, but music makes my world go 'round, and without the low notes, there cannot be high ones. A very inspirational analogy. Thank you.

For blue skies. said...

Money is an illusion.
So many things are priceless.
Love, Time, Happiness, Freedom.
Why is this world so superficial?

Anonymous said...

All - Wow, I want to thank everyone for their inspiring and thoughtful writings on this prompt. I wasn't able to follow as they were posted, because I was a week without a computer - but I've really enjoyed coming back and seeing what everyone wrote. It's also helped give me some much-needed perspective, and I really like that overall people responded with positive vibes to what was feeling for me, to be a pretty downward spiral. Thanks everyone!