This blog is for all who desire to create with words and images.
You are encouraged to participate in any way that is meaningful to you.

~
All prompts beneath the photos are only suggestions.
You are free to use the photo to be inspired to write any way you desire.
~
There is no deadline on posting,
you may offer your writing to any prompt anytime.
~
Write and you are a writer.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Canal

Photo by Reno
~
Suggested Prompt...
~
Standing at the edge of the canal I was where I belonged...



___________________________

It had been a long time coming. The lure of having the chance to finish a life started 30 years ago continued to haunt me until I returned. Now that I am here, the outside world...my past life ceases to exist. I paid my debt to society as they say and the final chapter of a life disrupted in mid stream will begin tomorrow.

It still looks the same as it did 30 years past. Small villages in Southern Switzerland are like that...no need to move forward when life ends at the outskirts of the village. The shop I worked in that summer is gone but the building remains...I will bring back life into those walls again.

After staying in contact with the family over the years, they left me with their legacy and I will finish the life I started in 1979. The family knew even though I was convicted, I did not...I couldn't take a life. The judge and jury felt differently.

I am free and my life will begin where it stopped 30 years ago in Deuxieme Chance, Switzerland.

Dan Felstead

One week after the photo or picture is posted I will pick one offering to put beneath the image. This is a way of celebrating exceptional creativity. Any and all posts are available for your creative mind to make an offering at any time (even ones where a writing has been placed on the front page like this one). If you are new here and want to offer to every image here, feel free. We are writers, WRITE! If this is your exceptional writing posted here on the Front Page Pictures, Poetry & Prose invites you to include the Exceptional Writing Award Button on your blog. Visit the Exceptional Writing Award post for the details and the button to download.

5 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

It had been a long time coming. The lure of having the chance to finish a life started 30 years ago continued to haunt me until I returned. Now that I am here, the outside world...my past life ceases to exist. I paid my debt to society as they say and the final chapter of a life disrupted in mid stream will begin tomorrow.

It still looks the same as it did 30 years past. Small villages in Southern Switzerland are like that...no need to move forward when life ends at the outskirts of the village. The shop I worked in that summer is gone but the building remains...I will bring back life into those walls again.

After staying in contact with the family over the years, they left me with their legacy and I will finish the life I started in 1979. The family knew even though I was convicted, I did not...I couldn't take a life. The judge and jury felt differently.

I am free and my life will begin where it stopped 30 years ago in Deuxieme Chance, Switzerland.

septembermom said...

Standing at the edge of the canal, I was where I belonged. Quiet filled my mind with clarity. I had to run to this treasured spot where I could breathe without hesitation. My husband didn't know of this place. This became my refuge when anger and disillusionment escalated in our nightly arguments. I came back to my former self when standing looking out over the serene canal. Recharged, I would then return to my false life once again.

Makita Jazzqueen said...

Standing at the edge of the canal, I was where I belonged...
...I could see that old building of mine, just like it had always been, a little dark but still wonderful. The square windows were just the same, they had always made me thought that there was somebody inside, expecting my arrival. This time, I knew aunt Sarah was in there, awaiting for the marvelous stories I had to tell her about the faraway land of Germany, of the secret island of Ireland. This time, I knew, aunt Sarah was going to tell me about all the good things that had happened during my trip, and all the not-so-good things that had happened, the ones I hadn't heard of in her letters.
But, one thing was sure, I was back home, the only place in the world I could call so, and was about to re-start my life there, as soon as I crossed that dear old threshold.

christine said...

The evening light was soft on the canal. The swans were settling at the banks, cygnets curled up beneath their parents' wings.

On the tow-path, a few returning home late from the office pass by my windows. Their footfalls muffled by the moss beneath their feet.

My people step down and open the door. They've been out shopping for curtains and bedding to complete my make-over. This morning,I was winched back into the water, from the boatyard after my re-fit. Now I'm back where I belong.

Unknown said...

The greatest artist
could never paint the way that
this place makes me feel