This blog is for all who desire to create with words and images.
You are encouraged to participate in any way that is meaningful to you.

~
All prompts beneath the photos are only suggestions.
You are free to use the photo to be inspired to write any way you desire.
~
There is no deadline on posting,
you may offer your writing to any prompt anytime.
~
Write and you are a writer.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Summer Rain

Photo by Jim Pankey "WildSpirit"
Jim's Photography can be found at Picasa and Fotothing
~
Suggested prompt...
~
Include this line anywhere in your writing...
... and the rain fell gently ...



___________________

It was the unexpected scent that roused me from my midnight slumber. Then the sounds.

First musty. Earthen. Then soft rustling. Tiny leaves aflutter. And then the rain fell gently. Far, far away the thunder rumbled. Just once.

Only once.

They said it wouldn't come. "Oh, it doesn't rain in summer in the East Bay," they assured me. "And you can forget thunderstorms."

But it came for me. Followed me 1800 miles, knowing I'd be lost without it.

I threw open the sash and breathed in the air. Listened to the patter of the droplets. Fell back asleep, smiling.

Happy.

At home.

jblack designs

One week after the photo or picture is posted I will pick one offering to put beneath the image. This is a way of celebrating exceptional creativity. Any and all posts are available for your creative mind to make an offering at any time (even ones where a writing has been placed on the front page like this one). If you are new here and want to offer to every image here, feel free. We are writers, WRITE! If this is your exceptional writing posted here on the Front Page Pictures, Poetry & Prose invites you to include the Exceptional Writing Award Button on your blog. Visit the Exceptional Writing Award post for the details and the button to download.

9 comments:

jennifer black said...

It was the unexpected scent that roused me from my midnight slumber. Then the sounds.

First musty. Earthen. Then soft rustling. Tiny leaves aflutter. And then the rain fell gently. Far, far away the thunder rumbled. Just once.

Only once.

They said it wouldn't come. "Oh, it doesn't rain in summer in the East Bay," they assured me. "And you can forget thunderstorms."

But it came for me. Followed me 1800 miles, knowing I'd be lost without it.

I threw open the sash and breathed in the air. Listened to the patter of the droplets. Fell back asleep, smiling.

Happy.

At home.

Wildspirit said...

Earlier in the morning, I awoke to one of the rarest sounds in southern California: thunder. Loud, penetrating, rumbling, booming thunder! Then a flash, and a few seconds later a loud sharp crack jolted and electrified my body. Wow, that was close!
Huge, heavy raindrops spattered onto the metal patio roof, a welcome sound I hadn't heard for months. Come on, rain!

The skies were filled with mammalian clouds roiling up the gray atmosphere, yet there was no wind at ground.

That was yesterday; and the massive rain clouds were dispersed into the small jellyfish like organisms that dropped their final moisture in funnel-shaped rain shadows as the sun went behind the coastal clouds, ending the show. It was fascinating while it lasted, and I am praying for more, hopefully, tomorrow.

Heather said...

@jblackdesigns - {sigh} with a smile. Beautiful Rest!

septembermom said...

And the rain fell gently,
over tired souls returning.

And the rain fell gently,
over uplifted faces peering.

And the rain fell gently,
over stripped hearts bleeding.

And the rain fell gently,
over whipped mankind stumbling.

Makita Jazzqueen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Makita Jazzqueen said...

And the rain fell gently, washing away my astonishment. I had dumped other guys before, I had been dumped before, but Josh... How could this be actualy happening? I thought we had agreed to have a life full of each other, and now, what I've got, is this stupid rain, somehow, however, soothing. To think of him, of the time spent together, of the promises made, of the love shared... At least you weren't married, mom said. How could she be so insensible? I loved him! But Becky was right, somebody who said what he had said, and did what he had done isn't worthy of my love, neither he is of any other's love. But how could I convince myself of that? It is not easy to forget someone you are so deeply in love with all of a sudden, specially when they come with this out of the blue, when you least expect it. And now, all I've got, all I've got left, are these stupid tears, somehow soothing, mingling with the gentle tears of the sky.

christine said...

People carried on their everyday lives, unaware of the special day to come.

In the hangars, planes were fitted out. Pilots briefed. Top Secret, marked their notes.

Up in the air, it was a beautiful world. Clean and pure. No wars, no disharmony, just peace.

The pilot flew on, and dropped his cargo. He flew away as fast as his engine would take him, and didn't look back.

Minutes later, the mushroom cloud errupted. A blinding light wiped out life for miles around.

Then the gentle rain began to fall ... the gentle rain of death.

Unknown said...

Earth felt cold and dry
She cried, 'Summer come soon!' and
the rain fell gently...

Heather said...

And I still am resting with these words...just love them!

Congrats to jblack designs for the featured posting.